Friday, June 26, 2009

Learning to love the little things

I'm a stress case. There is no way around it. I want to say I can take the "everything happens for a reason" perspective, but what happens to me today I typically only think about how it will affect me tomorrow.

With that being said, I've learned to figure out how to not necessarily deal with this style of outlook, but a way to make sure I'm appreciating all the good things that we go through: I've learned to love the little things.

This epiphany for me occurred a couple weeks ago. I had just finished up a great swim at La Jolla Shores. Not great in the sense that I swam well or swam quicker than I normally do, but I was enthralled with everything associated with the swim. The water was a great temperature, I didn't even really need a wetsuit. The five to ten tons of seaweed that normally makes its residence in the cove wasn't there, and the water's visibility was amazing. It allowed us to see all the sea life that can be experienced when swimming down there.

It got me thinking about how so many things I do are made better by little odds and ends that often times go unnoticed, but looking back played an integral part in making that experience great. Hopefully I can keep this as a mindset, even though its very easy to fall back into my negative outlook.

So from now on, I want to remember all the small stuff that makes life great. A hot shower after a cold trip in the ocean. The middle bite of a chocolate chip cookie. Getting your runner's high on a long training run. Seeing dolphins when you're surfing. And of course: two hour brainstorming sessions about making t-shirts based on Jesus doing everyday activities.


No comments:

Post a Comment